Many people find it difficult to sleep on long haul flights and with changing time zones find activities in the new country difficult for a couple of days. Here are some helpful tips on how to improve your chances of sleeping on the plane and waking up refreshed in a new country ready to have some fun or work really well!
Check list of things you will need to have and do
- Pre- book window seat so you can lean/sleep against it.
- Take a memory foam pillow with you on the plane.
- Eye mask
- Noise cancelling ear plugs or mp3 player with preloaded relaxation music (Delta Sleep track from SleepDrops is free for download from our website https://sleepdrops.co.nz/resouces/
- SleepDrops, Essential Sleep Nutrients and Daytime Revive
- Bottle of water.
- Before leaving home prepare a drink bottle with 2 teaspoons of Essential Sleep Nutrients mixed into the water. You will drink this later at the airport.
- About an hour before boarding have a light meal. A medium sized salad with some protein (50 to 100grams) is ideal and bring with you some crackers. The protein – turkey, chicken, beef – will provide the amino acids and the crackers will provide the carbohydrates necessary to cross the blood brain barrier. This combination provides fuel for your body to make sleep chemicals.
- Drink your bottle of prepared Essential Sleep Nutrients in water while at the airport and as you are preparing to go through customs. Remember you will have to have nearly finished it by the time you get to customs otherwise they will take it off you. Refill your bottle at a drinking station either in the lounges or at your gate.
- About 15 minutes before boarding starts take 10 SleepDrops under your tongue.
- Once you are boarded and settled into your seat drink another ½ bottle of water and take another 10 drops of SleepDrops under your tongue.
- As soon as the seatbelt sign is turned off and you are allowed to move around, head straight to the lavatory.
- Head back to your seat and ask the person next to you or tell the flight attendant directly that you do not wish to be woken for dinner service.
- Ask the attendant to wake you after 4 hours so you can get up and walk around to avoid deep vein thrombosis.
- Take another 10 drops from SleepDrops under your tongue.
- Put on your eye mask, pop in your noise cancelling ear plugs with or without music.
- Do “Deep Sleep Breathing” slowly increase the time that you breathe in and out until you are breathing in for the count of 9 and out for the count of 11.
- Allow yourself to drift off to sleep.
- Get woken after 4 hours sleeping and walk around for 5 minutes
- Go back to your seat – take 5 to 10 drops of SleepDrops – put on your eye mask, pop in your earplugs and do your ‘Deep Sleep Breathing” until you go back to sleep again.
- The Flight attendants will wake you when it is time to prepare for landing.
- Upon waking take 5 drops of Daytime Revive under your tongue. You can continue to take 5 drops half hourly until you reach your hotel or where you are staying.
- Take Daytime Revive as needed until you have adjusted to new time zone.